To instill, in the student:
• An awareness of the potential offered by information visualization.
• A familiarity with the underlying concepts of information visualization, achieved via a series of design exercises.
• An ability to assess whether information visualization is relevant to your personal and professional interests.
• An ability to make some immediate use of the techniques discussed.
• An ability to assess both the benefits and shortcomings of available software products involving information visualization.
For this very short workshop just one specific reference is adequate:
Information Visualization: Design for Interaction (Second edition)
ISBN 0-132-0655-09 or 9-780-132-0655-04