The Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira invites applications for the positions of tenure track research faculty to join the ERA Chair team at the Assistant or Associate level, to begin in the spring or fall terms of 2015. The candidate should be a dedicated experimentalist, prepared to contribute to a multidisciplinary “constellation” focused on designing and deploying new humanist technologies that promote social justice, sustainability, and community empowerment. The constellation is housed within a unique and upcoming research institution dedicated to new visions for technology and society, and funded by the European Research Area through the LEAPFROG project of the forthcoming Horizon 2020 program, a prestigious grant awarded to only eleven research institutions in Europe.
The ERA Chair in HCI and Design Innovation is led by Chris Csikszentmihályi, a world class researcher with a background in technologies that promote social justice, sustainability, and community empowerment. The ERA Chair will bring together critical technical practitioners who approach Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and technology design from the “Human” side, privileging social, political, historical, and cultural inquiry as a means to expand and rebalance the making of material culture.
We are looking for exceptional researchers eager to: embrace rather than dissimulate the political and geopolitical aspects of design; draw from the humanities and human sciences as much as computer science for inspiration; and directly contribute to our primary research outputs: new technologies and systems deployed and tested in the field. The constellation will be multidisciplinary and we are open to candidates from a wide range of complementary academic disciplines, with demonstrated research interests in areas including:
• The study of global flows and systems
• Appropriate technology or technology for “development”
• Civic media
• Traditional HCI with humanist interests
• Big data with a focus on environment, social justice, or international political economy
• Artistic and humanistic approaches to technology
• Technology for social change or activism
Researchers will be expected to maintain a critical technical practice; be comfortable with a prototype-oriented research method; maintain a strong presence in their field while remaining open to cross-disciplinary research; and mentor MS and PhD students toward innovative and recognized research outcomes.
M-ITI is an emerging, internationally recognized center for research and education in HCI, located on the beautiful island of Madeira, 90 minutes from mainland Europe. M-ITI serves as an “innovation engine” for leading-edge research and advancing the strategic development of the University and the region of Madeira.
Applicants for faculty positions in the ERA Chair Team must have: a PhD in an appropriate discipline; a strong demonstrated record of accomplishment in research, whether in the arts, sciences, engineering, design, or humanities; teaching experience; and a portfolio of prior work.
ERA Chair faculty will continue our tradition of interdisciplinary HCI research; collaborate in the dual-degree Master in HCI with the prestigious HCI Institute at Carnegie Mellon University; help to develop and expand the current PhD programs; manage relations with a strong alumni base; and recruiting new students who will enrich our community.
Applicants should send us an email with:
• Competitive salary commensurate with qualification and experience up to 4 000€ (R3) or 3 600€ (R2) gross monthly salary x 14 months according to the Portuguese law for University research public servants
• Social benefits, health insurance
• Support for housing and relocation
• Early stage researcher (0-4)
• Experienced researcher (4-10)
• R2 Recognised Researcher (PhD holders or equivalent who are not yet fully independent)
• R3 Established Researcher (researchers who have developed a level of independence)
Web site for additional job details:
Envisaged Job Starting Date: Feb | March 2015